Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deus

The Diary of Karl Bauer: A Darkest Hour game AAR

7 posts in this topic

Darkest Hour is a game based on the HOI 2 Engine (Europa) and HOI 2. It was created after Paradox Interactive released the source code and offered their support with publishing the result to the any who wish to develop on the platform. A bunch of Paradox Interactive fans took up the challenge and made Darkest Hour - a game what HOI 2 should have been. They streamlined the code - making it run faster. They made it moddable and made applying mods very easy. For this game I am running the World in Flames 2 mod, which has been made by (mostly) Fernando Torres who was one of the leads of creating Darkest Hour. It adds a lot of flavor events to the game and thus enabling me to write a story about it.

It's an old game, but it has an appeal to me HOI 3 and the upcoming HOI 4 doesn't have - lot's of historical figures and tighter historical setting. HOI 4 seems great at least game mechanics wise, but they have lost one of the components that made their games great - lots of information that you can learn while playing the game.

Specs:

Game: Darkest Hour

Mods: World in Flames 2, with new UI Skins and WIF soundtrack (featuring a lot of the period music)

Difficulty: Hard

AI aggressiveness: Normal

IC takeover (bet IC likes this one): Full

Tech team takeover: No

Goals:

As far as the AAR is concerned it is mostly to practice writing. it will be in the diary form and is loosely tied to game. Loosely means that the gameplay has a lot of RP elements in it (I will not strive to make the most optimal decisions at all times) and some updates may have very little to connect it to the game aside from the setting and scenery. The AAR is mostly a story of a young man finding his way through life and challenges that Germany of 1930s (to whenever) manages to throw at him. I have big plans for him and intend for him to witness most of the events catalyzed by the Germans firsthand. I intend to make it an ahistorical game and I think war will happen, but if it is a world war or local war(s), if it happens at the same time as it did historically or earlier or later - I do not know. I have a very loose plan where and how I intend to take it, but it may change as I'm playing/writing as characters tend to acquire a life of their own. The first chapter I have written and rewritten for about a month waiting for the character of Karl to coagulate in my head, most of the time was spent doing research. Those 2 pages in the diary took 50-60 pages of material to read through.

Now English is not my first language so bare with me if I make an error here and there (please tell me about them so I can correct them), as this AAR is also intended to keep my written English skills nicely ready and polished.

Since I had time then Chapter 2 is up. I'm currently setting up the game and building the atmosphere. The actual gameplay related stuff will start from January 29th, 1933.

Cool, Darkest Hour is a great game. Looking forward to it when you have it.

38 minutes ago, Fanag said:

Cool, Darkest Hour is a great mod. Looking forward to it when you have it.

FTFY

Nah it's actually a game. It's connection to HOI 2 is that they have the same father, but the moms are different.

28 minutes ago, Deus said:

Nah it's actually a game. It's connection to HOI 2 is that they have the same father, but the moms are different.

Started off as a mod tho, then became the game, whatever it uses the same engine.