Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deus

Hearts of Iron 4

5 posts in this topic

I prebought HOI4 and finally last night got around to playing with it. It's freaking awesome with some minor nags (probably because I skipped the tutorial).

I started playing as Spain with historic AI focuses off. When the civil war hit I went with the republicans, wiped the floor with the nationalists who had volunteers from germany and Japan (sic!), turned democratic, took out Portugal in early 1938. By that time the Germans went and declared the war on the czech, which got allies involved the war. Thus far the Germans are stuck behind the Maginot line. And since it was 2.30 AM I had to stop playing as I have a work day today.

One nag about Spain is that they don't have a specific Focus Tree, but I guess that is another DLC. The other thing is that without going through the tutorial, it takes time to find your way around the  interface - it could be better, but is a minor nag. The front system and automatic warring works good, but has problems when the front becomes very jagged or whne you don't have a clear superiority. Tha AI doesn't have enough balls to go in a unguarded province to try to cut off the enemy from supply. But that is a minor nag as well. So there is some micro you have to do every once in a while.

All in all a good buy and will try to find time to play it again. Very enjoyable.

Hooves has been juggling it a lot between Overwatch & FF XIV.

I am quite interested to play myself to chaaaaange history. Well...when I buy in a couple weeks or so I guess.

At first glance it seems as if they've made it a lot easier for first timers to pick it up. There are definite streamlined aspects to the game and its not as daunting a task to learn. There is however, still the detail underneath the hood for those who want to optimized play/multiplayer. It seems like a really good game. I haven't picked it up yet but I'll prolly will

I'm loving it so far. I played a few games including some multiplayer ones. My favorite had to be when a friend and I both played Brazil and nearly defeated the USA, but we lost our capital after taking most of South America and it counted as a capitulation. We went Communist and USSR took over all of Europe and soon enough it was going to be a Red World. Compared to past HoI games this one seems a lot easier to try to play a smaller nation and make a small difference compared to HoI2 (which is what I primarily played before).