Infinite Citadel

CK2 Let's Play/AAR

54 posts in this topic

Entry 1: Rognfrid's betrayal

Meet our protagonist of this AAR: Dalinar Kholin 

ck2_2.thumb.png.ebe1a3844fbf385d3b6c6ea7

Dalinar rules over a small village in the land of Kholinar, Norway (lol):

ck2_3.thumb.png.598b77d289c1a81064fa715b

Dalinar wishes to unite the kingdom of Alethkar (*cough* Norway *cough*). But first, he must be patient and strike at an opportune time. So he does what every good germanic pagan does in CK2. He kill, rapes, and pillages:

ck2_8.thumb.png.2fe3ab713bb56e5e50baea68

In order to survive in the harsh lands of Scandinavia, Dalinar needs to conquer other lands to increase Kholinar's strength:

ck2_15.thumb.png.592adaea13aa0103ebcb579

ck2_18.thumb.png.d4b96a6246a4e517a5b324f

But what's the point of building a great nation, if you don't have an heir/dynasty to pass it on to? That is after all the point of CK2, to control your dynasty. Meet the first child of Dalinar, Galivar. Unfortunately, Dalinar's 1st wife died. He quickly remarried a sultry vixen from southern Norway named Rognfrid, who would break his heart:

ck2_11.thumb.png.4654fc8a4d26af7d2b78ed0ck2_14.thumb.png.5d8a82c87534a63c1689087ck2_17.thumb.png.cc7374f430cebb84c114b9f

At this point, Dalinar realizes he must do the just thing and destroy the man that would defile his wife. But in order to do so, he must conquer his way south!

ck2_21.thumb.png.b6fe7cdeabb335452e7cc6d

The harsh lands of Scandinavia will not make this easy for Dalinar, he must be able to withstand the onslaught of other greedy chiefs. Will lady luck be on his side?

ck2_23.thumb.png.f2144f6b85fc3b7de54c5b3ck2_24.thumb.png.c51e7485a82b3ab8ce79249ck2_25.thumb.png.0fa1a4128a9bef824bce35e

Yes she will. Justice can not be stopped:

ck2_27.thumb.png.9aea87a8d3e280d0fb2ecb4

Maps at the beginning of the post and end of the post:

ck2_map_1.thumb.jpg.14e7a5a51fd3829bf893ck2_map_3.thumb.jpg.ce9021bb16bbc0b429f0

The quest to unite Norway continues ~ 

Next vote:

Should I stop expanding once I conquer Norway? Or should I try to conquer all of Scandinavia?

Edited by Infinite Citadel

I think it's because I only edited the poll. I'm going to just ask that people following post their votes and I'll remove the poll

Lordship voted for Norway (he didn't vote in the original poll)

Entry 2: The Way of Kings

The state of the world in the late 700s: In the north, three counts vie for control of Scandinavia. Who will come out on top? Else where in the world, the Arabian and Karling Empires have started to show signs of fracturing. Will they recover? Or will their empires fail the test of time?

DYzRnYz.png

Our protagonist Dalinar continues his quest to unify the Kingdom of Norway/Alethkar. To do this, he must retake the lands that are held by the Duke of Sjaelland in Denmark:

zlPBdBz.png

After winning the war for Norway fairly easily, Dalinar decides to regroup for a year or two. In this time, some new technologies are found that allow him to build ships and raid as any Viking should do in this game:

EZkAKnM.png

He also decides to eliminate the culture of new lands in a practice that would become extremely frowned upon some 1250 years later: ITT IC commits genocide.

HaxJvN4.png

The Viking age begins, time to kill, rape, pillage, and burn:

s0K1vi3.png

7242Lqb.png

Nh0Wd4B.png

The map as it stands in 798:

KdesvMa.png

Next question: The vikings in this game have the option to perform a prepared invasion once in their lifetime. Now that Dalinar has a decent stockpile of gold and a lot of prestige, which country/area should Dalinar invade?

1) Netherlands/Belgium - Try to put a nail in the coffin of the diminishing Karling Empire in Central Europe. I'd be able to reform the Norse Religion if I go those route, and I'd release it in a decade or two to establish an independent state with my dynasty at the head.

2) England - Try to conquer/control the North Sea, staying away from the mainland. I would likely try to incorporate England in this scenario instead of releasing as an independent state.

3) Italy - Create an independent Pagan state on the footsteps of Rome.

4) Scottland - See: England, but easier. This may allow England to get stronger so that we have a bigger challenge later in the game (granted I never see England do well in these early starts)

5) Islamic Africa - In this scenario, I'd invade either the Kingdom of Africa/Tunisia or The Andalusian holdings in Africa. I'd aim to conquer what I don't invade in the coming years, and release the resulting land mass as an independent Pagan country.

Current Votes:

Rickky - Africa

Lordship - Africa 

Khilafah - Italy

Invade Italy and burn Rome to the ground in such as fashion that people will continue to recite ballads, write poems, and tell tales of Dalinar's glorious victory throughout the ages! Nobody would remember him for invading Africa.

Entry 3: The Viking Age

The map as it stands where we left off: 

KdesvMa.png

The winner of our poll was Africa, and so an invasion was prepared on the Kingdom of Andalusia's holdings in Mauratania. Quite a number of adventurers flocked to Dalinar's banners for this war:

9EUM1Ew.png208s5jH.png

The attempt to create a beach head was met with a lot of resistance, leading to some of the largest battles the world has seen so far:

44RFxkt.png0Uwly01.pngBP1vubp.pngQHpHP8j.png

A few quick wars of conquest to take out the independent Ibadi states in the area, and our Germanic Pagan Holdings in Africa are ready to be released.

I2U6O1f.png

The Germanic religion has expressed a great victory. Is it time to reform the religion so that it can compete with the Cross and the Moon?

Hfu51Sq.png

A quick county conquest of Zeeland allows for a proper reformation:

xY723a4.pngphHpUUQ.pngvNismFH.png

7 years later, after pillaging and consolidating his holdings, our dear Fylkir Dalinar has died. His holdings have been split between his sons Adolin and Renarin (we will continue as Adolin). We will rise a great rune stone in Dalinar's memory:

ed2aVCf.pngXzPZtP8.png

State of the world at Dalinar's death:

O3fA8Wr.png

Now, the prepared invasion option is allowed to occur once per ruler's lifetime. Young Adolin has not yet used his, so we will invade the second highest vote getter - Italy. The only option available to us is to declare for the Kingdom of Sicily (lower half of Italy for the geographically impaired), so we'll have to settle.

sQB36fI.pngX5yHVIG.pngEGEeKkI.png

After a crushing victory at The Battle of Pescara, Sicily is ours. Time to take Rome from the Pope with a county conquest CB:

Hj6chCD.pngFeYyDYK.pnguFyxOr7.png

Our brother Renarin has died and his heir ruled a few years before death reached him as well. He left us The Kingdom of Denmark, which reunites the lands once held by Dalinar, first of his name.

e9wLgmx.png

Unfortunately, not all things are in our favor in this world. Although Europe is in chaos and is ripe for conquering with the collapse of the Karlings, our former holdings in Africa have been reconquered by The Kingdom of Andalusia. Andalusia has declared itsself the Empire of Hispania due to its recent expansion. They will become a problem later on. (Denmark had inherited the independent Africa after I released them/Dalinar died, and were in the midst of being reconquered when I reinherited Denmark heh):

Qr2Hl4U.png

Current state of the world in 831:

cURvIsP.png

Adolin has Consumption and is likely going to die soon. I've decided to go the route of conquering nations, propping them up, then releasing them as strong independent Germanic states in order to increase the Germanic religions' strength and ability to withstand the spread of Islam for the next installment. I'll release Sicily at some point soon, once I'm confident it won't be immediately reconquered by Italy (I may Holy War Italy once or twice to weaken them considerably). 

Here are some options for you guys, I'll let you decide which I try first:

1) Conquer England/Ireland/Wales and prop them up as independent Germanic states (I would incorporate Scottland).

2) Conquer Western Rus/Lithuania and take control of the Baltic Sea for the Germanic religion from the Slavs (I would incoporate Finland into my permanent holdings)

3) Conquer Belgium/France/Britanny and take control of Northwestern Europe.

My plans for the next entry into this AAR are to complete 1 of the above and have the Kingdom of Alethkar ready to progress to the Feudal or Republic systems of governments (I'll let you decide).

Current Votes:

2 - Rus/Lithuania (Robert/Deus)

3 - Belgium/Netherlands (Khilafah/myself/Big Brother)

2 - Feudal (Robert/Big Brother)

2 - Republic (Deus/Me)

I choose  3) Conquer Belgium/France/Britanny 

P.s Your feutile attempts at promoting Paganism, to withstand the spread of Montheism (Islam), will not work in the long run.

Entry 4: The Emerald Isle

Map of the world at 831:

cURvIsP.png

The world keeps getting worse for Germanic religion. During a war between the Catholic Kingdom of Bohemia and the Germanic Kingdom of Saxony, the holy tree of Irminsul was burned to the ground:

ELQRuMT.png

In another holy war for Italian lands, the tides begin to change for the Germanic religion. Mighty Germanic warriors decimate the Catholic armies at the battle of Acerno:

gcGUExl.png

That turned out to be the last triumph of Adolin's life. He died without an heir, so his nephew Galivar takes the throne:

CYqwmbo.pngCAGe8fJ.png

To make a name for himself, Galivar decided to carve out a kingdom on the shores of the central European coast:

Vr50o3j.pngvGd61ps.png

In order to occupy the time between holy wars, Galivar decides to declare one more holy war for Italy. But first, a detour to conquer the weak rulers of Ireland is decided upon:

XkfQ5i0.pngbyHb92u.pngschJkOC.pngjoBgCbi.pngTIMKDVp.pngqqLG0Wc.png6VxB46x.png

Galivar successfully conquers Ireland, and moves on to the Duchy of Latium. 

VoKp3iG.pngxOWh5lt.png

After the victory, Galivar decided it was time to release Italy and Ireland:

VARwlhe.png3xCPxRV.pngfZu8TdE.png

King Galivar lived his final years in peace, and was succeeded by King Ofeig.

JW5mnBs.pngdBnqyoF.png

King Ofeig, Fylkir and protector of the Germanic religion, has to fulfill his duty by protecting the newly independent Italian states from Catholic aggression:

B83bHbU.png

Meanwhile, Ofeig has a son named Elhokar. Prince Elhokar is doomed to die and I will be shocked if he makes it to adulthood.

hcPNYr8.png

Finally, King Ofeig decided to help the Duchy of Latium in it's war against Italy for the Duchy of Pisa. Unfortunately, the first battle was a resounding defeat:

IoGQXmp.png

Current map as of 887:

U6EaOCC.png

I'm redoing the second poll from last time. Feudal or Republic government?

2 - Feudal (Robert/Big Brother/Khilafah)

2 - Republic (Deus/Me)

Entry 5: The Great Game

Apolgies for the delay, I had a busy month (most of my normal CK2 time was either devoted to the P&W war or to reading the Wheel of Time >_> )

Ofreig's campaign in Italy ended up being successful despite his initial defeat, but ultimately Ofreig's place in history was not to be found:

kO7ifck.pngq23wmGd.png6V5gXLo.pngVG9fqJW.png

With Ofreig's holdings fractured among his sons, our current character Eilif has decided to pursue the intrigue route of unification rather than the war route:

PWWwP9k.pngs4JJVMh.pnglyLUxsO.pngmXra0wK.pngLxOnH9M.pngJonhn7A.pnglSie8yl.png

Hrafn, Eilif's son, rules during turmulous times, with wars and revolts plentiful:

bl4RPms.pngmINmyD5.pngZLow17k.pngWkOE9sN.png1sfRpvb.png1WVliN0.png

And a game changer:

96S6mRJ.png

I had quite a few rulers in the 12 year period, but hope is on the horizon:

erbMAHx.png

Current Map:

8RRqG1I.png

No choices for the next entry that I played tonight (these screen shots were from a month ago). However the next entry's name: The Crusades Begin

Entry 6: The Crusades Begin

Starting map:

ZqpniaH.png

First up, destabalize Sweden to keep them weak (I also matrilineally married the heir to the throne's first born to my niece, but that plot didn't work out):

54BZXp9.pngyggRC3x.pngQg7ueF0.pnglVeqibI.png

The Crusades begin, which make Catholics a lot harder to conquer (they now have access to a bunch of holy orders). Unfortunately I didn't partake in the first crusade, because I was at war with Sweden (I probably fucked over the germanic faith on this one lol):

gEUcwVr.pngNWNLS0N.pngFlKJw4K.png

Hrafn dies and Frisia is finally freed:

8l1EyRu.png

The game glitched and started showing a guy with a huge lance coming out of his head:

ZGEqsk4.pngnQ0QXzS.png

The Wrath of the Old Gods, also known as the Great Pagan Holy Wars, has been unlocked:

Il3BKu1.png

I decided to test it out, however I'm not strong enough to take on any Catholic or Islamic regions. Poor Finland and Eastern Europe ;_;

VxjoTod.pngs8LGSCu.pngGqiRgUO.png

Map at the end of entry 6 (Big moves are Italy taking back Tuscany, the Arabian Empire taking over Nubia and Northern Africa, and Alethkar taking Finland):

zsBp77Q.png

So I imagine the next entry is going to focus on consolidating my Finland holdings (converting them to Germanic), switching the inheritance system so I don't have a threat of losing my Kingdom to a Duke, and waiting until I can declare the next Great Holy War.

I'll give you guys the option of where I go for the next Great Holy War:

- Lithuania

- Middle Francia (Big grey blob south of the Netherlands)

- Essex/Central England

The Crusades begin, which make Catholics a lot harder to conquer (they now have access to a bunch of holy orders). Unfortunately I didn't partake in the first crusade, because I was at war with Sweden (I probably fucked over the germanic faith on this one lol):

You mean "fortunately" (the crusades were a resounding failure after all), and don't you need to adopt the Christian faith in order to participate in a crusade?

I'll give you guys the option of where I go for the next Great Holy War:

- Lithuania

- Middle Francia (Big grey blob south of the Netherlands)

- Essex/Central England

Go to Essex. Your future generation will make you so proud :)

p1391152697-2.jpg