Infinite Citadel

CK2 Let's Play/AAR

54 posts in this topic

You mean "fortunately" (the crusades were a resounding failure after all), and don't you need to adopt the Christian faith in order to participate in a crusade?

Go to Essex. Your future generation will make you so proud :)

p1391152697-2.jpg

I meant unfortunately because the Germanic faith was the target, I could've joined in and helped defeat the crusaders

I vote Essex for the next Great Holy War, it's important to gain a substantial foothold in England so as to prevent the rise of another strong Catholic nation. The Lithuanians are not as potentially dangerous.

Entry 7: The Rise of an Empire

I'm going to preface this by saying I'm sorry for the Crusade vote. One of my dumb vassals launched and won a prepared invasion on England before I could holy war them, and as such I opted to attack elsewhere ¬¬

Map at the beginning of the entry:

otcLzHg.png

First order of business is to stop the Catholics from taking a chunk out of my ally in the Kingdom of Frisia:

3eBW0FP.png

It looks like Ireland is back in Alethi hands:

g9YhXFx.png 

Using my influence, I've pushed through limited crown authority in Denmark, Alethkar, and Ireland. This allows me to switch the succession to Ultimageniture (youngest son inherits). Crucial for keeping my lands together.

SgmGtnS.png 

Before my initial goal of invading England, I decided to take out Scottland first so I wouldn't have to fight them at the same time as England:

c5EmoJB.pngnkq2YxP.pngCXiXZcS.pngQ9jH3wr.png

A New Land is discovered by our fleets:

335ipaP.png

Other happenings in the Germanic world include a succession crisis in Sweden (I backed the revolt to destabilze them), and a successful Crusade that left Germany in Catholic hands. Fortunately a revolt later puts a Germanic ruler back on the throne:

RvMNqSa.pngFk3020p.pngWQwfssf.png

Sottland V2:

8Ur0ODB.pnge5ryQsH.pngSmZYq9m.png

My ruler died, and his youngest son inherits. This leads to a much smoother transition and consolidation of power:

zpWugrZ.pngxLGUKrx.png

Next up is getting enough of De Jure Scandinavia to form the Scandinavian Empire. I decided to stop by Estonia and say hello to Deus and Alyster:

KcSVhPj.pngYCut9xE.png 

My next Great Holy War is for Middle Francia, the strongest Catholic nation remaining. It goes very smoothly, it helps that I waited until the rest of the Catholics were busy with a Crusade for Southern France. The war was fought on two fronts, Northern England and Central Europe:

whd5bkk.pngyXArE0a.pngbSCKllG.pngsbNTWFg.pngDtV3hJ8.pngYalOFUd.jpg

After winning the Great Holy War, I took one duchy for my realm (in Northern England), then granted the remaining Middle Francian Kingdom to one of my distant Cousins. A third strong Germanic nation is very good for the long term stability of the religion.

BCR9CG0.jpg

Close call:

jBxaLYj.jpg

Justice is swift:

9FhQYXF.jpg4krCuDB.jpg y6i0XDl.jpg

One more war against Sweden to get the remaining territories I need:

gsKYMog.jpgjHWaTy1.jpg 

Interesting happenings in Asia, hopefully this will break up the blob that is the Arabian Empire:

I2xUeR3.jpg

The Scandinavian Empire is born:

TupO0w8.jpgsSYMdXk.jpg

Current Map:

KfvtBhX.png

Current Realm Stats:

5mAOiDa.jpg

Where would you guys rather I start going to create more germanic nations, Southeastern Europe (Croatia/Serbia/Italy), Northeastern Europe (Poland/Lithuania/Russia), or Western Europe (What's left of France/Aquitaine)?

Current Votes:

Northeastern Europe - Big Brother

Edited by Infinite Citadel

Consider setting the Empire of Britannia up as an independent nation. I'd go for Russia or Northern Germany for new Germanic nations, they're both pretty divided and will make easy targets. Then it'll be easier to deal with the more solidified Catholic kingdoms afterwards.

Consider setting the Empire of Britannia up as an independent nation. I'd go for Russia or Northern Germany for new Germanic nations, they're both pretty divided and will make easy targets. Then it'll be easier to deal with the more solidified Catholic kingdoms afterwards.

One of my long term plans is to set up the Empire of Britannia. I'm thinking of hitting the Empire of Hispania with a Great Holy War for Andalusia (which is the main source of their troops) and releasing Britannia if I win then consolidating Iberia and releasing it once its safe from reconquest. Basically, my main goals are to break the Hispanian/Arabian blobs and then withdraw to just the Scandinavian Empire for EU4 (settting up various Germanic states along the way obviously). 

Edited by Infinite Citadel

Yeah, that sounds good. I love setting up new nations, I had a playthrough where I had made almost the entire continent Germanic, except for some last holdouts of Catholics in Italy. There were even some Germanic Africans down in Mali. I've never touched Hispania though, so I want to see how that works out for you.

Vote: Western Europe. (They must never be allowed to rise again, muhahaha!)

Now that RL is less busy (I passed my qualifying exam/can stay in grad school :D ), I'm going to pick this up again. Playing now~

Entry 8: The fall of the West

Updates should be more regular now :)

We left off with the Kholin Dynasty creating the Scandanavian Empire. Unfortunately, there are still some holdouts in Sweden.

I think a war for the crown would be a good start to this entry:

BVzGLww.pngRcs6MCB.png

A swift victory! Now, our dear leader decides to help out Frisia with conquering a French Duchy:

aSgOkq9.pnglC20C3G.png

The victory over France was followed by turmoil, as the Emperor dies and is succeeded by his youngest son. Unfortunately other members of the Kholin Dynasty wish to see another sit on the throne:

ybD9iQ5.pngSrzmBkd.png

Greenland is discovered:

1RZiQDG.png

With vassal opinion high, it's time for Gundmundr to finish conquering what's left of England:

IHZjgYs.png0Ul2TXS.pngBdqn6V9.pngoydli8J.pngXjkhAaY.pngCqSIDCG.png

6Atpi7W.png

An heir to the throne is born:

tMyYytW.png

Operation Neptune came a little under a thousand years early:

sTZYyrO.pngchoJj2s.pngBO3HJKd.pngHikCNtF.png SVyzXqH.pngEXvzcen.pngbKZUUYm.pngyzKzMOK.png

Fuck Refr III, he makes my blood boil:

7cZ9Qd3.png

Rebuilding my retinue from the war seemed like a good time to raid and loot what's left of Christian Europe. Along the way I gained the Viking trait and the ambitious trait, so watch out world.

893Dnui.pngQWDVHxT.pnguamqQr6.png

Vinland is discovered! Allegedly a band of vikings lead by Ragnar Bulliwyf stayed behind and created a great nation there:

r1UfauD.png 

A Crusade for Middle Francia! The Catholics decide to throw what they have left at the united Germanic nations of Scandanavia/Brittania/Central Europe:

z3J0TYD.png

Unfortunately my game froze mid way through the crusade, so it'll be concluded in the next update. (We had 37% warscore/weren't in any threat of losing).

Latest Map:

RNtRxLi.png

Biggest things to note: The Seljuk Horde of Turks has arrived and blown a hole in the middle of the Arabian Empire (it coincided with the Shia Uprising in Mesopotamia, which was independent for a brief time before being conquered by the Seljuks). The Byzantines have taken some land back as well as the Arabian Empire has had to deal with two fronts. Currently, The Seljuks are invading the Arabian Empire for the Arabian Peninsula, which will crack the backbone of their strength imo. The Byzantines have a holy war for Antioch (Orthodox holy site in the game). Now would be a good time to hit Hispania, who have started advancing into Europe. 

So the vote for the next update:

After winning the Crusade, do I put the nail in the coffin of the Catholics and declare a great holy war on Italy? Or do I try to halt the Islamic advance into Europe and great holy war for Southern France and take it from Muslim Spain? 

Entry 9: A blow to Islam

Like I mentioned in the last update, my game froze at the end. Unfortunately, this rolled it back to the most recent autosave, which was Jan 1, 1000. This undid the Byzantine Holy War for Antioch and the Catholic Crusade for Middle Francia. I decided to take Lordship's suggestion and try to halt the advance of Islam regardless.

Due to random chance in the game code, the Catholics decided to Crusade for Islamic held Aquitane this go around, which is helpful to me:

Spoiler

JgdJDHO.png

Vinland has been discovered (again)

Spoiler

Dbf9VZq.png

I waited for the Umayyad forces to move towards Southern France before launching my Great Holy War. I wanted to deal a blow to their forces, so I had the choice between taking Northern Africa or a large chunk of Spain proper. I decided to go the Spain proper route and split their empire in 2:

Spoiler

HxdpLUz.png

I went with a strategy of mobilizing all my forces, loading them into ships, and invading on the South West Coast of Hispania. I figured it'd be far enough away from the Aquitane Crusade that the Umayyad forces would be torn. 

Spoiler

zYiO5jb.pngFo0Zazh.png

On the other side of the Germanic Lands, one of my vassals is expanding his holdings~

Spoiler

lBnm8pF.png

A large Ummayad Army decides to attack:

Spoiler

T8xiZf3.pngbufFlwz.png

After the battle of Badajoz, a series of battles take place to route the losing army:

Spoiler

ZE7aX4z.pngU6mEWfI.pngL0XqFhU.png

Trying to help the Catholics, who are not much of a threat anymore, I decided to take out two Ummayad armies crossing from Africa before taking advantage of my current war score:

Spoiler

qUdVj2x.pngk6eqNrH.png

The Big Blue Blob appears! Just not the one most Paradox fans are used to :) 

Spoiler

D0KHm0P.pngSSOFOHT.pnggRDR22L.png

Taking a look at religion and culture of the newly gained lands, it's going to be quite a feat to effectively integrate them into the Norse culture/Germanic religion:

Spoiler

5plnlep.pngfeq4xon.png

I decided to do a few things that will help with the conversion process.

1. I'm going to keep them in the Scandanavian Empire until I feel they can stand on their own (I'll try to conquer parts of Northern Spain and wait until a lot of the peninsula is converted). 
  2. I spent the gold that I looted during the Great Holy War to create Duchies throughout the Peninsula. This will allow for greater management.
  3. I gave lands to members of my realm that had the highest learning stats. This helps with culture and religious conversions. 
Spoiler

fuSYlmy.png

To get a foothold in the Mediterranean Trade market, I created a vassal merchant republic in Granada. To create a merchant republic in CK2, you give a character control of a town, wait a day or two, then give him the county and the duchy. 

Spoiler

fFebW73.png

My vassal count is still extremely high, so in order to make sure Spain sticks around long enough for me to get them in order, I proposed a decentralization of the Scandanavian Empire. 

Spoiler

59aSLXf.pngt8vizef.png

I had joined a war for Venice with the last Norse count on the Italian Peninsula. When I can do another Crusade, I'm going to go for Italy and give it to the count for holding out so long~

Spoiler

CbjMYwh.png

I've also decided to raid some bordering Ummayad counties while their occupied with their war against the Catholics, unfortunately they diverted some armies to beat the raiders away:

Spoiler

LkIPUy5.png

The Catholics win their Crusade! Will this result in the resurgance of the Catholic faith? Or are they just a place holder in Southern France until the Germanic religion inevitably takes over?

Spoiler

h5CTub4.png

I'm expanding my lands in Northern France. I'm going to take the Brittany, let the counties convert to the Germanic Religion, then split the Brittany/France lands off in another Kingdom:

Spoiler

DMnXFaY.pngd0vtH7R.png

Current Political and Religious Maps:

Spoiler

0fW5svf.pngYaAytVS.png

The Seljuks took over the Arabian Peninsula, and Ethiopia seems to have broke off from the Arabian Empire. I think Egypt is a rebellion, but I'm not sure if it's for independence or something else. 

Plans for the next update:

• I'm going to try and finish conquering the rest of Spain (this will take a few years due to truces between wars).
  • I'm going to do a lot of raiding and try to max out my Scandanavian holdings, building Castles and what not.
  • Once I've maxed out my Scandanavian holdings I'm going to release Scotland/Ireland/England. 
  • Finish killing the Catholics in France/Italy.
  • Once I've released my Western European Lands, I'm going to start focusing on Eastern Europe (Poland/Lithuania/Russia). 

Also just going to note that I'm going to make sure I can split my lands that I release into countries with pretty borders, I may have to use console commands to cheat this a bit :v

EU4 Map of the exported game in the year 1444 (technically I exported CK2 in 1440):

66sCgC3.png

I am the orange Indian Empire, all of Europe except for the Byzantines are Norse Pagan. Will try to post some updates on how I went from the Scandinavian Empire to the Indian Power you see here :v

Entry 10: The Start of a new Adventure

This update is a lot of catch up, so I can move on to the EU4 section :D

Map at the start of the playthrough:

Spoiler

mEjIhb4.png

Cleaning up Hispania and the Catholics in Europe was a long process:

Spoiler

13MjyzJ.png

Koa3hvH.png

tZHXyza.png

V7LKIPc.png

T2dgwCn.png

jNPD3Do.png

The great release of vassal nations:

Spoiler

lCC1aTU.png

lZGB35p.pnggtwAwEA.png

In order to make the game interesting so that I can play for another 400 years, I decided to go into India:

Spoiler

efe6IMN.pngw4xyrHg.pngAx9QnBO.png

The founding of Asgard:

Spoiler

Kl2JGhi.png

fXXetmx.png

The Center of Power moves:

Spoiler

USqVeBm.png

QPpm11x.png

QPpm11x.png

cEpbwOe.png

mBoUeUL.png

i3p8Sps.png

3kQVMYh.png

DoE74S5.png

5dsis5u.png

ZPMMaV6.png

I4oIIM1.png

One last vassal release:

Spoiler

JGgr9kV.png

Map after the release:

Spoiler

SNppWOo.png

The Conquest of Southern India:

Spoiler

6u06xa8.png

Qxn44Ig.png

kAIBzSH.png

2VwtGa1.png

xkYYuvP.png

XdzwzRp.png

6n3XGzF.png

The Great Split (I'll note I had to use a console command to split the empire in two):

Spoiler

k84pAXG.png

QUSGIQS.png

tCdQZBy.png

vRJexq5.png

The Newly Formed Empire of Asgard continues to gain hold in the Indian Subcontinent:

Spoiler

HbBVZEC.png

FPYMBQz.png

lv9Cawu.png

AZSuPgq.png

xGwwNtl.png

BIPYjGB.png

DnV03kz.png

ZGsdZFH.png

A New Threat?

Spoiler

FB9uYFF.png

iAYiLVb.png

A8HKehC.png

gMMGHmU.png

CwoOWw3.png

Finishing Touches:

Spoiler

IYteu1g.png

1V1vavb.png

msRyLdW.png

slQBkJU.png

TUgZj8a.png

6Ww0Wuv.png

IVavbm7.png

5gsgcjD.png

2hYdSym.png

2RxM024.png

Marco...

Spoiler

8XcuAsW.png

Map at the end -- exported to EU4:

Spoiler

66sCgC3.png

Your second screenshot features Steve which I find amusing.

Oh boy, a Norse India at the start of EU4 huh? It's going to be ridiculously easy for you to cream your neighbors with your western tech. That is until they all start westernizing off of you.

1 hour ago, Fanag said:

Oh boy, a Norse India at the start of EU4 huh? It's going to be ridiculously easy for you to cream your neighbors with your western tech. That is until they all start westernizing off of you.

It'll be easy fighting the east for sure, the Arabian Empire/Seljuks/Turkestan to my West on the other hand all have Western Tech from the export as well

I do like that you weakened yourself by losing a lot of your lands to make it more interesting. Looking forward to what you do.

Entry 11: Indus Universalis

Note about these playthroughs: I've never played a game of EU4 past the year 1500, I'm very new to it (unlike CK2) -- I will learn along the way and may fuck up here or there.

Map at the beginning of this EU4 import/end of the CK2 game:

Spoiler

66sCgC3.png

First thing that I'm going to do is appoint some advisors:

Spoiler

93D3AE008EBF81BE10FD8BA2E071E02643A38F92

I'm running a huge deficit due to the number of armies I have right now, so I decommed a lot of my stacks and I'm going to keep enough to kill rebels and fight smaller opponents.

After a few years of fighting rebels and changing the culture of some of my provinces in Persia to Norse (basically genocide, gg me), I received a mission to conquer some seljuk territories in Africa. I hate border gore and seeing the Seljuks split between Western Persia and Africa, so I decided it was a good mission to follow:

Spoiler

B7610445CFF45CFBB9304F22FBDCC5287B94E31B

The Battle Plan and first major battle:

Spoiler

C95BFD727721E75B0A9518890E9A8BF8C7971CEC

8BD0323D7D16FA9BD2DA07AED6CA54059E860F95

I decided to get as high of a war score as possible so that I could get all of Seljuk Africa, instead of just the War Goal's single province:

Spoiler

A684D86494284A73EDB980B36BCD375C3887C791

EFD62E921E2ECC8EB1F5E34BA8D6EE2D36E8706C

Victory over kebab:

Spoiler

C93313363AD4A788B297A31E76CFFD214AD96130

I have a huge over expansion penalty now, so I decided to spend a lot of diplomatic power coring:

Spoiler

9410E65AE9A798DE1FD3DBC3A31DB1A8CF6480A9

3CA45F03B4EE7B80085FA68AB5955C1D309200BB

After getting to administrative tech 5, you get a national idea (I'll post all the options in a future update -- I did not take a screenshot). I went with Expansion:

Spoiler

E068D8C8773EA2AD93AC7D39CC3E3679C2BD60A0

682E0BFCFDE921200178083751DC872CFB3FCE6E

I ended once I received the Quest for the New World Idea.

My path for the rest of the game may be influenced by you guys. Right now I see three options:

1. Remove Kebab (take over the Seljuks/Arabian Empire/Egypt). This would probably be fairly easy due to my strength at the beginning of the game.
  2. Go after China and Central/East Asia -- I can go over the Himalayas and eventually take on the Ming/China.
  3. Become a colonial power and focus on the Indian Ocean/South East Asia -- I'm leaning towards this one right now, but can be swayed. I figure by the time I am done colonizing everything I can in the Indian Ocean, the Ming/Turkestan/Arabian Empire may have conquered enough to be stronger/more interesting opponents. 

What do you guys think?

I say invade China, get rich. Get rich and get bigger armies and navies. After that, you can conquer the new world.