Kayser

So, interesting first couple days of the administration hasn't it

Ya, we're mostly Americans here but I think I should clarify anyways. What are your thoughts on the brief but busy first few days of the Trump Administration? 

Things you agree with, disagree with and thoughts on the Administration going forward. 

The left was laughing that he wouldn't follow any of his campaign promises, now they're crying that he is.

1) Killed the TPP. I think Hillary reluctantly claimed to oppose it but work continued on it until the moment Trump won. That's kind of why that lying bitch lost the election. Almost everybody who cared about the TPP one way or the other seemed to have opposed it, even the left gives Trump a little credit for this one.

2) Made the pipelines go through. The alternative is shipping with trucks and trains, environmentalists invariably seem to pick the dumbest causes and methods.  Popular with the majority of Americans and almost anybody who works for a living, especially in the energy sector, which is an important base of support for Trump.

3) Started construction on a border wall. Republicans have wanted this for decades. People on the left kept talking about how completely impossible this would be to build. They'll happily tell you that we should convert the entire economy to renewables and colonize mars and shit like that like it's nothing, but a long concrete wall? Harder to build than the fucking death star, apparently. Now we have an official estimate of $15 billion, even if it's twice that it's still peanuts to the federal budget.

4) Restricted Muslim immigration to some degree. The left wants this to be like the new holocaust or something, but half the country supports it. The left acts like Islam is just a meaningless little flavor, like skin color or sex. Personally, I grew up with fundamentalist religion, and though I no longer believe in it, I do remain a strong believer that religious ideology has serious power. Islam can fuck the fucking fuck off as far as I'm concerned. Trump can do whatever he needs to do to make that happen.

For all the supporters of these moves there are just as many who hate them. But in the sage words of Donald Trump when asked if he was worried about his latest act causing more anger: "Anger? There's plenty of anger right now. How can you have more?"

Edited by Woot
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm pretty repulsed by what he has done so far, but none of it has been surpising either. Shame the Democrats had such a weak candidate in Hillary

1) His appointees, I find to be horrific. Putting a climate change denier in charge of the EPA would be laughable if it wasn't so terrifying. Climate change is the biggest threat this country, and the world faces. Putting oil executives in charge of key posts, so much for "draining the swamp". 

2) The Wall: Sure lets waste $15 billion on constructing a wall when immigration from Mexico already is and has been on the decline

3) Killing TPP: This is something I actually support

4) Weakening Obamacare: A shame and a move in the wrong direction. This doesn't have any immediate effect but if it continues it will be ironic how it will heavily affect some of Trumps' biggest supporters, poor whites. 

5) The travel ban: A continuation of the fear mongering that got him into office. There has never been a fatal terrorist attack by an immigrant of those 7 countries he banned. He conveniently left out countries he has business ties to. The terrorist attacks that do happen in this country result from people who already lived here and were radicalized via online propaganda. Not to mention the overall threat of terrorism is hugely overblown with regards to the actual damage done. 

There is always room for more anger

• Upvote 1

There's this too: http://www.firstpost.com/business/donald-trumps-h1-b-visa-proposal-will-have-repercussions-for-the-us-too-say-experts-3240302.html

H1B visas being increased to a minimum salary of $130k.

Nearly 80% of the US economy is service based. This is going to have insane repercussions throughout the US. H-1B is your skilled labor visa. These are your programmers, architects, dentists, doctors, mining engineers, consultants, researchers. To stay ahead of every other country in service quality, Americans hire the best people from all over the world.

I'd expect skilled people to go to other countries instead - Canada, Germany, Australia, Japan. India has been teetering close to superpower status; it's just that their best people have been going to the US. Now that it's harder to export workers to the US, we might see Bangalore replace Silicon Valley as the tech capital of the world.

The average senior engineer salary in SF is $110k, not far from the $130k. But you'd have to consider people working in other cities like Chicago which can't afford anywhere near $130k salary. And this also means that they can't import high potential talent at a lower price.

I'm really interested in where this ends up. Could be really good or really bad.

On 1/31/2017 at 9:56 AM, Smith said:

5) The travel ban: A continuation of the fear mongering that got him into office. There has never been a fatal terroristic attack by an immigrant of those 7 countries he banned. He conveniently left out countries he has business ties to. The terrorist attacks that do happen in this country result from people who already lived here and were radicalized via online propaganda. Not to mention the overall threat of terrorism is hugely overblown with regards to the actual damage done. 

fwiw I looked it up yesterday and found 3 terrorist attacks involving individuals from the 7 countries he banned (2 Somalian/1 Iranian iirc).

Pipeline/TPP I agree with him so far. Borderwall seems pointless/was handled terribly (some areas of the border already have meaningful walls, iirc the main problem now is tunnels going under the wall). I wasn't a huge fan of the ACA (it didn't go far enough imo), so I'll with hold judgement until I see the replacement plan (I'd predict I won't like it, but I'm ready to be surprised). The travel ban was dumb, either go full measure and throw in Saudi Arabia/UAE/Pakistan -- where most terrorists have actually come from, or don't do it on non allied muslim majority countries and come across as nothing but racist. 

My concern has been a lot of his appointees so far (Bannon/DeVos etc etc), and how poorly he's handled nearly every move he's made since he came into office. He won the election, lost the popular vote by 3 mil -- the country is extremely divided, you've got to handle yourself with tact if you want to win over people in the center/center left (Trump will never win over the Left/Far Left, just like Obama never won over the Right/Far Right etc). Instead, he's just strengthened the resolve of most that didn't vote for him and continued building that divide imo

3 minutes ago, Infinite Citadel said:

fwiw I looked it up yesterday and found 23 terrorist attacks involving individuals from the 7 countries he banned (2 Somalian/1 Iranian iirc).

Yeah, there definitely have been some, luckily with 0 deaths. Do you know what the time frame is for that 23? According to WSJ 11/180 of the terrorist attacks that have happened since 9/11 have come from the 7 countries. 

3 minutes ago, Smith said:

Yeah, there definitely have been some, luckily with 0 deaths. Do you know what the time frame is for that 23? According to WSJ 11/180 of the terrorist attacks that have happened since 9/11 have come from the 7 countries. 

Sorry, I meant to post 2 (thought it was 3, double checked if Afghanistan was on the list, then changed it to 2). Should've just read WSJ rather than going through a bunch of wikipedia pages :P 

Also my timeline was since the year 2000

• Upvote 1

I think he played it smart by implementing the most controversial moves as early as possible, giving him more time to recover before the next election. He pushed stability from +3 to +2 but it's something the US can afford. We'll see whether his policies are successful in a few years, long before his term is over, and it'll give him time to turn things around if needed.

Trump's style has always been very bombastic and intimidating. He is the kind of businessman who moves fast, thinks later, and even then he thinks in the short term. I don't know why anyone would expect anything less. He seems to be taking a really big gamble with his policies here, again a reasonable move from a businessman. People are just used to being governed by politicians who always play it as safe as possible. Either he wins big or loses big.

well, this is going to be a very long 4 years imo.

I have basically disagreed with everything he's done since entering office (Not surprised, I happen to be on the opposite side of the ideological spectrum), and I am kinda afraid of leaving the country, despite holding dual US-Japan citizenship because of the Muslim country situation. While, I doubt he will enact such measures on Japanese-American dual citizens, it definetly doesn't make me sleep easily.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.