Sign in to follow this  
Nizam Adrienne

Favorite Characters

Who's your favorite Stormlight Archive character and why?

I'll kick off the discussion. I really love Kaladin because I can identify a lot with his mentality and ideals (for better or for worse :P). I find him really relatable. Also, flying is pretty cool. #WindrunnersBestOrder

Kaladin, hands-down. For me, it isn't just what the character's personality is like, or how important they are, but how well they're written. Kaladin feels real, not this odd OP hax guy, but someone who develops slowly, but steadily. Book one's Kaladin really showed him coming into his own. That was the culmination of a long, long ride, imho.

• Like 1

Book 1:

Spoiler

Kaladin, goes from slave to Radiant

Book 2:

Spoiler

Dalinar, really expands the history of TKR with the visions 

Book 3:

Spoiler

Dalinar, shows he's not the perfect character and has had major flaws in his past as a warlord. I also enjoyed Kaladin's arc in this book because of the failure at the end - he was becoming too OP with just dropping another ideal whenever he needed. Having someone else save him for once was great. 

Shallan chapters are hit or miss for me, but I've enjoyed them more and more as the series has gone on. Jasnah is also great/can't wait to read more of her PoV chapters later on (she clearly knows more than most of the current PoV characters, so it didn't make sense to have her as a PoV before this imo). 

• Like 2

also i think everybody who has had a CN or PnW persona that has been able to act with some measure of influence is familiar with the sense of another identity as a kind of suit and a filter that you put yourself through to achieve your goals. Not necessarily that you lie to people in CN or PnW about who you are but you make a choice about how you want to project yourself 'online', which, if your sense of your 'true identity' is fucked up like Shallan's is, can be a bizarre experience. Everybody has to deal with multiple projections of themselves (how one is at work, how one is at home, etc) but with the power of the internet, we can do a lot more to differentiate ourselves 'on here' from who we are in our day to day real lives. I appreciate Shallan's character because she has the capability, both through social training and her powers, to project multiple versions of herself that are made out of both utility in the moment and her aspirations for who she thinks she wants to be. Resolving those identities for me in my real life was an interesting experience, as I found that CSM could stand to be more like Tim and Tim could stand to be more like CSM. Shallan having to put together her identities to decide who she is and what she wants is something I've enjoyed and am hopeful will continue to be good reading.

• Upvote 3

Shallan really became a much more fascinating character as the books progressed and I really enjoyed her chapters in the last book especially. I also really loved learning more about Dalinar and his history. But not as much as I enjoyed @Lordship's reactions to the reveals...

Shallan really came into her own in Oathbringer, to the point where I didn’t mind reading her chapters. I suppose it helps that she typically had Adolin or kaladin in the chapters with her, but her progression as a character really shot up exponentually. The love triangle was kind of meh, reminded me of a pseudo Jacob vs Edward dynamic, but Radiant/Veil’s personality seeping in and affecting Shallan made it pretty interesting. 

@Nizam Adrienne most definitely lol, especially the big Elhokar moment. That and Dalinar remembering Rathalas are the two moments in the book where I honestly felt numb. 

28 minutes ago, Lordship said:

Shallan really came into her own in Oathbringer, to the point where I didn’t mind reading her chapters. I suppose it helps that she typically had Adolin or kaladin in the chapters with her, but her progression as a character really shot up exponentually. The love triangle was kind of meh, reminded me of a pseudo Jacob vs Edward dynamic, but Radiant/Veil’s personality seeping in and affecting Shallan made it pretty interesting. 

@Nizam Adrienne most definitely lol, especially the big Elhokar moment. That and Dalinar remembering Rathalas are the two moments in the book where I honestly felt numb. 

Yes, there was a love triangle but I'm pretty happy with how that actually turned out, tbh. It wasn't what I expected, based on basically every other love triangle to ever exist and I appreciated that.

"ADRIENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNE. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?"
"OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. I'm literally pacing my room right now."

8 hours ago, Chief Savage Man said:

also i think everybody who has had a CN or PnW persona that has been able to act with some measure of influence is familiar with the sense of another identity as a kind of suit and a filter that you put yourself through to achieve your goals. Not necessarily that you lie to people in CN or PnW about who you are but you make a choice about how you want to project yourself 'online', which, if your sense of your 'true identity' is fucked up like Shallan's is, can be a bizarre experience. Everybody has to deal with multiple projections of themselves (how one is at work, how one is at home, etc) but with the power of the internet, we can do a lot more to differentiate ourselves 'on here' from who we are in our day to day real lives. I appreciate Shallan's character because she has the capability, both through social training and her powers, to project multiple versions of herself that are made out of both utility in the moment and her aspirations for who she thinks she wants to be. Resolving those identities for me in my real life was an interesting experience, as I found that CSM could stand to be more like Tim and Tim could stand to be more like CSM. Shallan having to put together her identities to decide who she is and what she wants is something I've enjoyed and am hopeful will continue to be good reading.

I'm Dalinar irl

My favourite characters from the series are bit off I guess. I loved Eshonai. Everything about her character was just interesting. Especially her pulling out of storm form and her morality. I love the way he writes Kaladin's chapters and he's an amazing character I'd love to look up too, but I identify the most with Navani/Jasnah heh. That being said, Jasnah being strong af to the outside world yet having her own issues/insecurities that he keeps alluding too or suggesting through out makes me curious to see how he really takes her forward.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keshav said:

My favourite characters from the series are bit off I guess. I loved Eshonai. Everything about her character was just interesting. Especially her pulling out of storm form and her morality. I love the way he writes Kaladin's chapters and he's an amazing character I'd love to look up too, but I identify the most with Navani/Jasnah heh. That being said, Jasnah being strong af to the outside world yet having her own issues/insecurities that he keeps alluding too or suggesting through out makes me curious to see how he really takes her forward.

It's sort of difficult to pick just one character. I feel like I find myself agreeing with basically everyone here haha. Sanderson writes some pretty interesting and complex characters.

That being said, I think I've heard that the next book will focus more on Eshonai/Venli... 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this